Re: cURL and sockets

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 01:44:21 -0600

OK, I know almost nothing about Frame Relay, but just in case no greater
authority replies, maybe this will get you started...

AltaVista came back with a link to "THE BASIC GUIDE TO FRAME RELAY
NETWORKING" at:

    http://www.frforum.com/basicsguide.html

Right at the start, in Chapter 1 under "What is Frame Relay", it says:

    "Frame relay employs a simple form of packet switching that is
well-suited to powerful PCs,
       workstations and servers that operate with intelligent protocols,
such as SNA and TCP/IP."

which tells me that whatever high level protocol is being used is
probably pretty much masking the underlying frame-relay infrastructure,
making it irrelevant.

I'd say you probably need to read some of the Basic Guide to get the
jargon and TLAs, then go back and ask some pointed questions, such as:
"are you guys running SNA, TCP/IP, or what ?"

Sorry, but that's about as far as I go. It's been 20 years since I
cobbled together a campus packet-switched network using old phone lines,
X.25 PADs and 9600baud modems... :) The Basic Guide is on the Frame
Relay Forum, though, and they probably have vast heaps of clues.

Ralph Mitchell