cURL and SSL for posting to Authorize.Net

From: Paul Hoza <paulhoza_at_NearlyEverything.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:20:43 -0700

Hello,

I'm new to the list and to much of this type of fun stuff, so go easy,
please! :) I've gone through the archives quite a bit and came up short
so here goes...

I'm using an open source PHP commerce cart system called osCommerce
[www.oscommerce.com] and attempting to get a community-contributed module
working right that connects to Authorize.Net's ADC Direct Response credit
card system. The module uses cURL to post the AuthNet data and get a
response using SSL, but I've not been able to get the call to work unless I
use the '-k' option. Since this is transmitting credit card and customer
data, I want it to be as secure as possible, so I think -k is not
appropriate here, but I can't quite figure out what's happening... is it
still secure or do I need to "fix" something??

Thanks for any help you can provide. Here are some details:

RH Linux 7.1 installed on a Virtual Private Server system using WEBppliance 3.1
OpenSSL 0.9.6b
cURL 7.10.2 (installed by the sysadmin from the server hosting company I use)
     # /usr/bin/curl -V
     curl 7.10.2 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.10.2 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
zlib/1.1.3
We have an SSL certificate on the site running properly

Here's the call made from the PHP shopping cart module is supposed to be
this, but nothing happens that I can see:
        exec("/usr/bin/curl -d \"$data\"
https://secure.authorize.net/gateway/transact.dll", $response);

Here's what actually works (note the dropped \" around $data?.. someone
suggested that and it won't work otherwise. Would someone explain what this
should be if I've got it wrong?)
        exec("/usr/bin/curl -k -d $data
https://secure.authorize.net/gateway/transact.dll", $response);

So, basically, is it using SSL or not?? Is it secure like this, or should
I be doing something different?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!! :-)

Regards,
Paul Hoza