Re: POST to IIS/5.0 fails

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:15:15 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Stephan Burlot wrote:

> Using curl 7.10.1 on MacOSX 10.2.1, I'm unable to POST a file to a IIS/5.0
> server.
>
> using curl -v -F file_to_upload=@filename -F submit=OK
> http://62.110.77.152/upload/upload.asp, I get an error from the server,
> telling me I have to add enctype=multipart/form-data to send the file. Of
> course, sending via MS Explorer on the Mac works fine (Omniweb doesnt).

Ok, then it seems as if the receiving end is really picky on some fields it
really shouldn't bother about.

> Is this a server issue, ie are there some IIS gurus here able to confirm
> this, or is my curl command incomplete? I checked using tcpdump and curl
> doesnt seem to send less headers than Explorer, so I'm lost.

The receiver is probably not really strictly IIS, but some kind of
program/script running on IIS. You're probably better off asking the ASP
author for details. Or by trying harder to make it look even more as a IE
post.

> In the end, I want to send files programmatically, so any hint in this
> direction will be gladly accepted.

I remember once, the stupid receiving script rejected every attempted file
upload that had a file name that didn't start with "[LETTER]:"... It really
is impossible to tell. You have to keep on guessing and trying, or ask the
admins.