Re: gethostbyname_r(2)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:11:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Zvi Har'El wrote:

> Noting that RedHat's own curl (7.9.8) is configured with ipv6 enabled, I
> reconfigured curl 7.10.1 with
> ./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --enable-ipv6
> and look and behold - the resolver problem disappeared.

Right, that doesn't surprise me very much. When building IPv6-enabled libcurl
uses an entirely different name resolver that is more standardized and
documented.

> For me it is a satifactory solution - it is possible that the new glibc
> (which is a development version) has a bug in the resolver - which is
> certainly not the task of curl devlpers to fix.

I'm more inclined to believe that this is a border-case and that libcurl does
something wrong in how it uses the function. It used to work fine before but
in some version of glibc they changed something to be more strict and then
curl stopped working with it.

I'll try to get access to a Redhat 8.0 box somewhere soon and try this a bit
myself.

Thanks anyway for your details.