RE: [ curl-Bugs-621576 ] don't honor redirect on PUT/POST

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:10:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> One could take the view that, since curl's DEFAULT behavior is to NOT
> follow redirects, then the user has already made his wishes known by
> setting --location (or CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION). You (the programmer) should
> always know if you're doing a POST, and should simply not turn on this
> option if you don't want redirects to be followed.

Yes, I've taken exactly that view! ;-)

> The only real question (in my mind) is whether the POST data gets sent to
> the new location, or whether it should turn the prior POST request into a
> GET instead. I think that issue has been visited recently though.

This is complicated, because the spec says one thing while most user-agents
do something else (including curl since we mimic the major browsers).

But there's more to this particular issue than just this, which is why I took
the discussion from the bug report over to the libcurl list, see full details
in my recent post:

        http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2002-10/0075.html