Compilation error from `urldata.h'

From: Bjorn Wiren <bjorn.wiren_at_ericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:06:12 +0200

(This is seen in curl 7.10 and 7.10-pre4. I'm on Solaris 7 with gcc
2.95.1.)

After saying

./configure --prefix=/home/etxbwir/curl \
  --with-ssl=/home/etxbwir/openssl \
  --with-zlib=/home/etxbwir/xemacs/aux/zlib

I get the following compilation error:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../include -I../lib -I../lib -I/home/etxbwir/openssl/include/openssl -I/home/etxbwir/openssl/include -I/include -g -O2 -c file.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/file.TPlo -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/file.lo
In file included from file.c:81:
urldata.h:260: parse error before `z_stream'
urldata.h:260: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
urldata.h:283: parse error before `}'
urldata.h:431: field `keep' has incomplete type

The problem seems to be that `zlib.h' doesn't get included. Its
inclusion is within "ifdef HAVE_LIBZ_H" in urldata.h, and that symbol
isn't defined. Saying "--without-zlib" doesn't change a thing.

Furthermore, configure is unable to pick up a non-standard include
path to zlib through the --with-zlib option - the bogus "-I/include"
in the compilation command above is probably a result from that.

I suppose maybe if you have zlib in the standard location it all
works.

I manage to compile through hand editing `lib/config.h' such that I
either disable zlib support, or define `HAVE_LIBZ_H'. If I choose to
include zlib support, I also need to define the zlib paths via CFLAGS
and LDFLAGS.

Cheers

--
Björn Wirén
BTW, The INSTALL document is missing from the tar package.