help - install problem (virtual host)

From: <blinde_at_5happy.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:12:30 -0700

i'm trying to install curl on our virtual account, hosted at cihost.com.

i do not have root access.

i downloaded curl 7.9.8 to my mac, which untarred it.
i uploaded the entire directory to our site.
i cd'd into the curl-7.9.8 dir.
i chmod'd 755 configure.

i tried ./configure --prefix=$HOME and ./configure
--prefix=/home/scharffenberger/www/curl

in each case when running make (with or without '-C .') i got:

     make: *** No rule to make target `acinclude.m4', needed by
`aclocal.m4'. Stop.

my goal is to call curl from within a custom-coded php shopping cart, using
something like: exec("$curl -d \"$data\" $authnet_url", $return_string);

ssl is installed in /usr/local.

i found a tech note where you said i might need to remove 'config.cache',
but can't find it.

suggestions? pointers?

thanks,
bruce 'never done this before' l.