Re: does curl get data from a proxy cache

From: Bradley Dean <bjdean_at_unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:00:07 +1000

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:36:02AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Thomann Marco ABX-SERV-SG wrote:
> > can anybody tell me where data comes from if i'm working behind a proxy
> > server. (from cache or not from cache ?) or how can i tell curl to not use
> > the proxies cache ?
>
> I believe curl's use of "Pragma: no-cache" instructs the proxy to not return
> cached contents.

Yep that's right - the 'Pragma: no-cache' that curl send by default will
instruct any caches along the way to retrieve a fresh copy of the object.
(It's of course possible for caches to disregard this request - often
caches are set up that way to over-ride the gratuitous use of no-caches on
ad-servers).

Some caches add headers to the response to the client to indicate they've
touched the request, this information can also include whther or not the
request was retrieved from the cache or not.

Cheerio,

 Brad

--
Melbourne University ITSAD SDI (CWIS Group) - Web Applications Developer
Email: bjdean_at_unimelb.edu.au   Ext: 43997