Re: 7.9.6 sparc-sun-solaris2.4 ftp timeout after connect?

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:46:40 +0000

Rich Gray wrote:

> Actually, it needed more than that to
> compile:
>
> #if defined(HAVE_O_NONBLOCK)
> # undef HAVE_O_NONBLOCK
> # define HAVE_FIONBIO
> # include <sys/filio.h>
> #endif
>

> But still fails with EINVAL.

I found the following comment in the "Solaris 1.x to Solaris 2.x
Transition Guide" of the Solaris 2.4 System Administrator
AnswerBook:

"read(2V) -- SysV

 The nbyte argument to read() is of type int in SunOS release 4.x
 and of type unsigned in SunOS release 5.4. The SunOS 5.4 read()
 system call does not support BSD 4.2 style non-blocking I/O (with
 the FIONBIO ioctl() request or a call to fcntl(2V) using the
 FNDELAY flag from <sys/file.h> or the O_NDELAY flag from <fcntl.h>
 in the 4.2BSD environment) as does SunOS release 4.x read() routine."

This seems to indicate that non-blocking sockets aren't possible
on Solaris 2.4 (at least, it excludes all the alternatives that I
am familiar with). However, before abandonning all hope we could
try with fcntl(FNDELAY).