Re: Compile for HPUX with OpenSSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:27:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, John Horn wrote:

> >Did you try to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS as described in the docs/INSTALL
> >document?

> Yes, but I may not have done it correctly.

How did you do it? And what's more important, what did the config.log say
when you did it?

> >Can you display parts of your config.log file to show us the OpenSSL tests
> >being done? Did the configure script find the OpenSSL headers?

Now, what command line did you use to get this log? It doesn't seem to set
any path using --with-ssl and LDFLAGS doesn't seem to have been set either?

> from the config.log:
> configure:9874: checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto
> configure:9901: cc -o conftest -g conftest.c -lcrypto >&5
> (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -g option is available only with the C/ANSI C
> product; ignored.
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library: "crypto"
> configure:9904: $? = 1

This shows two things. First, it doesn't try any particular extra lib paths
to see if the lib exists in the standard library path, and it fails to find
it there (hardly surprising). Secondly though, the output "The -g option is
available only with the C/ANSI C product; ignored." seems to imply that you
don't have a ANSI C compiler, which I fear may cause you problems further on.

> configure:9933: checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto
> configure:9960: cc -o conftest -g -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
> -I/usr/local
> /ssl/include -L/usr/local/ssl/lib conftest.c -lcrypto >&5
> (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -g option is available only with the C/ANSI C
> pro
> duct; ignored.
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library: "crypto"
> configure:9963: $? = 1

This shows that configure tried the "/usr/local/ssl/" tree for the lib, which
is the default path when you use --with-ssl without a path argument.

You should retry with './configure --with-ssl=/opt/openssl' as you first said
you tried.

BTW, you *do* have at least two libraries in the directory
"/opt/openssl/lib", right?

And again: did the configure script find the OpenSSL headers?