System variables & cURL was Re: --stderr in curl 7.9.3 for win32

From: Stuart Halliday <stuart_at_stuarthalliday.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:47:56 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.43.0203180823150.8575-100000_at_pm1.contactor.se>
          Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> > Please don't ask why I can't detect curl's exit codes. :)
>
> This would require us to keep a separate stream for the (libcurl built-in)
> progress meter and add an option to set it to whatever.

Why not make cURL place the exit code into a System variable so that a
program or Script can simply read it?

In RISC OS we use System Variables a lot to allow command line programs to
pass on valuable information to the rest of the script.

This neatly brings me to a subject which is why I've just joined this list.
:-)

I've been a particular 'fan' of cURL for some time. I've been amazed at the
sheer versatility of this program and I managed to get a RISC OS
Programmer (Michael Curtis http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jamjars/michael/ )
to port V7.9.2 of cURL to the ARM/StrongARM 110 based processor Operating
System - RISC OS.

I've been bug testing it and one particular aspect of cURL I find isn't as
easy to use as I think it could be.

The -w option allows the user of cURL to finds out valuable information of
a connection. This is great and extremely useful. However this information
is not easy to extract from cURL.

Under RISC OS a commandline program would simply write important
information like the value of 'http_code' for example into a System
Variable called 'curl_http_code' to be read at the programmers leisure.

DOS/win32 programs do this too surely and I'm sure Linux programs are in
the same boat? Or is there something about System Variables that I'm not
aware of on these Platforms? :-)

I asked the RISC OS cURL porter to add this functionality to cURL and
whilst he could, he said he'd rather I discuss it with the cURL developers
direct because if he did it himself he would be forever patching it. Best
to see if the cURL developers would be willing to add it themselves.

So is this a valid suggestion?

Could information stored from a cURL session be stored into System
Variables?

--
Stuart Halliday
Webmaster of the Acorn Cybervillage