file:// necessary?

From: Kevin Roth <kproth_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:27:01 -0500

This is probably a silly question, especially after spending so much time
on it yesterday... However, I was thinking last night and find myself
wondering whether curl's support of the file:// protocol is even needed. It
seems to me, that anywhere curl or libcurl is being used (from command line
especially, or also from the scripting languages) there should already
exist plenty of other ways of getting "files" from the local machine. What
value is there in having curl support a file:// URL type? Does anyone
actually use it?

Curiously yours,
--Kevin