RE: hangs when receiving

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:42:11 -0500

Correct. Just a GET. It does not happen for all SSL tests; so far, it
seems to only affect those which are for a directory that doesn't permit
directory listings (403 Access Denied response). It specifically doesn't
exhibit the problem behavior in the following scenarios:
 o Copying the exact contents of the access denied response into
   a .htm file (including the Unix line ending) and requesting that
   via SSL
 o Requesting the same (access denied) url from the non-ssl port
   of the same server

> Older as in how old? Does 7.9.3 work but 7.9.4 doesn't?

7.9.3 works fine.

> HTTP says they should be CRLF, but curl is supposed to accept
> either way.

This would seem to be the safest behavior, but as one of my other tests
above seems to indicate, this isn't the problem.

> This might just as well reflect the fact that stderr is
> non-buffered, while stdout is and the *-lines go to
> stderr while the contents go to stdout. At least I can't
> see any obvious error in this.

OK.

> That first "hanging" request, is that a server/URL I can try
> from my place?

No, however I managed to find one that you can try:

This one works fine:
  $ curl http://www.microsoft.com/MAC/download/OFFICE98/

This one doesn't:
  $ curl https://www.microsoft.com/MAC/download/OFFICE98/