xml parsing

From: Eric Wood <eric_at_interplas.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:39:15 -0500

I'm a bit off topic.

I can submit an XML formatted query and get an XML response back from the
server. All this is possible thanks to curl. Does anyone know of a utility
to parse a tree element to get a value after I have received the data?

For example,
$ result=`echo 'xml stuff' | curl --url
https://www.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate -d @-`

Now I need to parse the "$result" variable, but with tags being spilt on
multiple lines, I really need a hypertext backengine or something.

I know curl is just a transporter and doesn't handle back-end processing.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
-eric wood