Re: curl: ftp anonymous password

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:54:28 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 eperez_at_dei.inf.uc3m.es wrote:

[sorry for not having replied earlier, I've been away from my mail the last
two weeks something. Also, I took the liberty to CC this reply to the main
curl mailing list for information and discussion. Please direct follow-ups to
the list.]

Thanks for mailing me regarding the FTP password curl uses.

> I've seen you are sending "curl_by_daniel_at_haxx.se" as PASS in anonymous
> ftp.

Yes, unless you specify a password.

> You should use "anonymous@" as newer ftp clients do.

I don't think so. Some strict ftp server checks for something that looks like
a valid email, and by not having anything on the right side of the @ letter
it is not a valid email address.

> Problems with your approach:
> - Some stupid servers try to check that what goes after @ exists
> and delay the login and could deny login if the hostname is not a DNS
> valid one.

haxx.se is a valid domain.

> - Sending anything that's not anonymous@ as password is not
> anonymous by definition

Surely it is. It doesn't identify the user one bit, it identifies the
user-agent only.

> - Spyware is not a good idea, most users don't like it.

I wouldn't go so far to actually call that spyware.

I still don't like the absense of a right side of the @ letter...