cURL / SSL problem

From: Tom Reader <tom_at_proxima.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:04:47 +0000

I hope someone will be able to help me with this cURL / SSL problem. If it
turns out that this is specifically an SSL problem, I will take my query
elsewhere - however, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help, or at
least give me a pointer or two.

First things first: I'm using cURL 7.9.2 and OpenSSL 0.9.6b.

I am trying to send some data to an SSL-enabled web site. Using a non-SSL
site, this works fine, using a command like:

curl --data-binary @data-file http://www.whatever.com:nnn/receive.pl

However, when using the SSL-enabled site, I use:

curl --data-binary @data-file https://www.whatever.com:nnn/receive.pl

I receive the error:

curl: (35) SSL: error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad
certificate

One other thing: On most sites I try the SSL connection to, the connection
works. I only get the error above using one particular site (needless to
say, it's the one I *need* to use!)

 From what I've read so far, the error is commonly caused by either the key
being larger than 1024 bits, or the certificate belonging to a machine
other than the one I receive it from. However, in this case, neither of
these points seem to help - the key is 1024 bits, and the certificate is
listed as belonging to the correct machine.

Can anyone give me any other ideas on how to move forward with this
problem? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom Reader