[ curl-Bugs-495215 ] Question / Answer to add to FAQ

From: <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:59:53 -0800

Bugs item #495215, was opened at 2001-12-19 14:59
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=495215&group_id=976

Category: documentation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Recently I've been writing a script with CURL, and I
allow the user to specify a URL. When the user
specifies a URL that is a directory, and does not
include a trailing slash, some web servers (ie apache)
redirect them to the same URL with a trailing slash.
If the location (-L) option is not specified, users
are presented with :

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>301 Moved Permanently</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://same_url_now_with_a_trailing_slash/">here<
/A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.22 Server at yourhost.com Port
80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

adding a trailing slash to the URL fixes the problem,
or adding the -L option to the command line. Adding a
trailing slash blindly isn't a great idea, but it
works. (curlopt_FOLLOWLOCATION would be the equivalent
from the API). I just spent a little while trying to
figure it out, so I figured you might want to add it
to the FAQ. Theoretically speaking, though shouldn't
CURL check for trailing slashes on the ends of URLs
and have an option to disable it just in case? I think
most people are trying to get directories when they
accidentally omit the trailing slash. Anyways, thanks
for opensourcing such a useful tool.

Ron Nessim.