Files Open...?

From: Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman_at_ecx.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:34:00 -0800

I am using PHP and cURL to connect to a gateway, retrieve a page, and repeat
the whole process about 1500 times. PHP is version 4.0.3 and cURL is 7.4.1.
Now, after a while, I begin getting cURL errors saying that cURL can't open
a temporary file and that there are too many files open on the system.
Needless to say, this causes problems with the rest of the system until we
stop the script and let the files close gradually. I was wondering if this
was a known problem with cURL 7.4.1; I looked at the changelog and I didn't
see anything related to that error...

The PHP is extremely simple - it opens a cURL resource/connection, sets a
few options so that the results are returned in a variable instead of a
file, then closes the cURL connection and goes to the next merchant in the
list and repeats that process until all 1500 merchants or so have been
tested. My question, I guess, is - does cURL wait a while before closing out
a file? And if so, can I force it closed?

- Jonathan