Trouble installing Curl on Darwin (Mac OSX)

From: Sam Schenkman-Moore <samsm_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:48:47 -0500

I am a bit of a novice so I apologize if I'm asking things that seem to have
obvious solutions.

Anyway, I'm using Darwin/Mac OS X.1 (for anyone who is not familiar, Darwin
is a BSD-based build of UNIX for Mac OSX) and trying to update PHP. However,
the PHP configure file is stumbling on some curl file which is evidently
missing. So, I am trying to reinstall curl.

"./configure" works fine, makes it all the way through with no errors. Then
comes "make":

ftp.c:1920: conflicting types for `Curl_ftpsendf'
ftp.h:31: previous declaration of `Curl_ftpsendf'
make[2]: *** [ftp.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

What does this mean and what do I need to do to fix it? If there is a good
resource that will help me figure this out on my own I would love to hear
about it.

Thanks,
Sam