Re: Questions about reusing connections

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:20:18 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Georg Horn wrote:

> > Setting COOKIE to NULL would disable it. It should then not send a cookie
> > line at all. Setting it to "" will probably make it send an empty "Cookie:"
> > header.
>
> Ok, i'll try this. I think this would require modifications to the perl
> interface too. If you give undef to a perl function, you get an empty
> string in the perl xs.

Oh. Then it might need some attention, yes.

> > > - Why does libcurl sum up the times for TIMER_NAMELOOKUP, TIMER_CONNECT
> > > and TIMER_PRETRANSFER?
> >
> > Because no one ever made it work differently.
>
> Aha... ;-)

Hehe. Seriously, lots of things that I add to the library just happen to be
what I feel like for the moment and then ages pass until someone actually
uses it. Then I just need to figure out what people actually are looking for
and convert what exists to what they want.

This is a good example.

> > > - What time is TIMER_PRETRANSFER exactly?
> >
> > It is the point when the (final) request has been sent, when it goes into
> > "waiting for data to arrive" mode.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to change this? Or to add another timer that gives
> us the time how long libcurl "waited for data to arrive"?

As you have control of the write callback, you could very easily check that
time yourself, right?