[ curl-Bugs-479537 ] Wrong and undocumented error codes

From: <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:27:09 -0800

Bugs item #479537, was opened at 2001-11-08 04:27
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=479537&group_id=976

Category: http
Group: wrong behaviour

Initial Comment:
I use curl to monitor a set of web-servers, and I have
just upgraded
to curl 7.9.1.

I have a problem when a web-service is down, but the
server is up.

The script use 'curl -f -s -I http://server.name/', and
do different things according to the exit-status of
this command.

With curl 7.8 i get the expected error 7 ("Failed to
connect to host"
in the man-page), but 7.9.1 gives me error 23 ("Write
error" in the man-page). This wrong, or at least
confusing.

I also have a server which gives me error 52, but this
error is not documented anywhere. This server does not
hounor the HTTP HEAD method, it just breaks the
connection without sending anything. You
can test it at www.hum.uit.no.