Re: Feature Request

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:48:55 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, David Harris wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Curl, but I've found it to be quite a bit more flexible
> than WGET.

I agree. But of course there are a few things wget does that curl just won't.
Like getting stuff recursively. (But I'll admit that I've tried to convince
the wget guys that switching over to using libcurl for transport would be a
gain for both projects...)

> However, I'd like to request a feature. I'd like a mechanizm for
> renaming a downloaded file if the output file already exists.

While I hate doing this to a newcomer to the project, I really can't see how
this should be an internal feature of curl.

That kind of stuff should clearly be made with a wrapper script and/or done
using one of the libcurl interfaces. Writing a perl script that something
similar to that is ridiculously easy.