Re: Installing cURL for c

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:20:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Grant, Eamonn wrote:

(Reply CC'ed to the curl mailing list)

> Iīm having problems installing cURL on unix. I dowloaded the files and
> extracted them. The installation instructions says to run ./configure.
> the file configure doesnīt exist.

Did you download a source archive and you checked inside the newly created
directory after you unpacked the archive?

If there is no 'configure' file, then there was a problem.

> I am unable to do the 2nd and 3rd steps either. the make file doesnīt
> exist.

There's such a one too. But in unix environments, it is being changed
completely once the configure script runs.

> I tried putting the curl directory into my include directory and
> putting the files contained in the lib director into my lib directory. I
> tried running the sample c program to download using ftp but I get:
>
> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> curl_easy_init /var/tmp/ccpJ1NiP.o
> curl_easy_setopt /var/tmp/ccpJ1NiP.o
> curl_easy_perform /var/tmp/ccpJ1NiP.o
> curl_easy_cleanup /var/tmp/ccpJ1NiP.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to main
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Yes, you need to build and install libcurl first. Then you can build things
using the library.

> I presume I havenīt got things set up correctly. Can you please help me with
> the installation procedure. Am I missing something ? or is it just that I
> havenīt completed the procedure properly?

What unix is this?

Try again, get a source archive and run './configure' and then invoke 'make'
and as root 'make install'.

Please post follow-ups to the mailing list.