Re: bug in runtests.pl ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:14:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> in runtests.pl:checkserver(), it isn't successfully realizing when I have
> another instance of httpserver.pl already running.

Ah, how stupid! Nice catch! Fix committed...

> Also, it seems (to me), if runtests.pl support the ability to not start
> httpserver if it's already running, then it should also support the
> ability to not kill that instance of httpserver (since it didn't start
> it). I don't see that anywhere...

Those are fragments of my original works. The script should always kill the
test servers after completion, and since it can't start the tests servers if
they're already running I was forced to add checks for already-running ones
at startup. Old servers are typcially left running because I abort the test
scripts with control-c or similar.

Actually, the script should be fixed to instead at startup detect if there's
an existing test-server running and if so kill that, then start the new one.

The reason for this, is that since the test suite is often used in test/debug
circumstances, it frequently happens that you re-run tests and changing the
server code between invokes. I've done that mistake many times already,
patching e.g httpserver.pl and when I rerun 'runtests.pl' the new changes
haven't taken effect because there was an old server running...

Or don't you agree? I am open for other suggestions.