Re: Beta build problem on Solaris

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:11:38 +1000

Paul,
        what type of solaris hardware are you running on? Is this an older
machine?

I've seen this (exact error) when linking or compiling with openssl,
which would like to use assembler and/or C compiler options optimised
for the latest or current hardware platform. This means the resulting
binary doesn't work on earlier hardware platforms. (There are SPARC
v6,v7,v8,v9 chips, for example - the 'ultra' label starts at v8 I
think). You can imagine this as i386,i486,i586 and having something try
and compile for pentium then run on 486 - doesn't work too well..

This could be an autoconf issue when making flags for curl, or maybe you
linked with a static openssl libcrypto.a etc that you downloaded as a
binary? Do the openssl command line tools work OK? (Assuming you're
trying to build with openssl at all...)

The 'file' command on solaris will tell you what binary version a
program is compiled for.

Cris