Re: VMS Curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:06:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 Nico.Baggus_at_mail.ing.nl wrote:

> I have a ZIP file containing the first attempt to port curl 7.7.2 to VMS.

Excellent work!

I got it, unpacked it and made a diff from the original 7.7.2 and applied
that to my current sources. There was only a few places that failed, more
about those below. It still compiles/builds fine on my solaris box, even
after the patches! ;-)

I have a few questions/remarks, and remember that I know hardly nothing about
VMS:

1. You can't run the configure script on VMS, right? I see that you created a
   config.h that must work for you. To make it survive, we must have it use a
   separate name, like config-vms.h (to follow the already established
   standard set by the win32 version) and then have lib/setup.h adjusted to
   include that file for VMS. Is it OK if I do that?

2. A lot of the '#ifdef VMS' cases fix size_t comparisons < 0, when I guess
   the VMS' size_t is unsigned. This is not a VMS-specific problem, but
   something that is gonna be corrected globally. I think I'll let these
   #ifdefs through anyway for now, but we should check them later to see if
   we can't get rid of a whole lot of them. (Linus works on that size_t
   problem.)

3. Your file 000readme.vms concerns how to build curl on VMS. I think this
   info should go into the docs/INSTALL file, as that contains all the build
   info for other platforms. That OK with you?

4. I noticed several changes done by you that only added white space, such as
   this one:

   - getsockname(sock, (struct sockaddr *) &add, (socklen_t *)&size);
   + getsockname(sock, (struct sockaddr *) &add, (socklen_t *) &size);

   Is that really necessary? It indicates that the C compiler is serverly
   screwed up.

5. Why this change:

   - Curl_FormFree(http->sendit); /* Now free that whole lot */
   + _Curl_FormFree(http->sendit); /* Now free that whole lot */

   ?? I can't understand why that would be needed, nor do I like to break my
   naming scheme like that.

... I'll make a new tarball available when we've sorted out these matters so
that it could be tested again on VMS to see that I haven't broken anything.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/