Telnet on Win32 - Good news!

From: Nielsen Linus <Linus.Nielsen_at_elema.siemens.se>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:38:03 +0200

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that I have fixed the telnet
problem for Win32. I had to rewrite the select() loop
completely, using WaitForMultipleObjects() instead.

A small drawback for this is that we must use winsock
version 2 to make this work. This means that older
Windows 95 systems will suffer, unless they upgrade
winsock.

I have two "solutions" to this:

1) Don't care. Let the Win95 users deal with it.

2) Make sure that the startup code in Curl (main.c)
   records which version of winsock it managed to open,
   and only fail if telnet is used.

I prefer alternative 1, as it is much easier to do. But
on the other hand, I don't like discriminating users of
older systems.

What do you other people think?

Are there that many Win95 users with winsock 1.1 out there?

/Linus