RE: using protocol HTTPS

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:11:17 -0400

The problem is that you need a COM interface in order to access it
properly from ASP pages. You could use the COM interface for the Windows
Scripting Host's WshShell object that lets you "Run" an external .EXE
program and get back the results; however that approach will probably
have a negative effect on scalability.

I've tried (only very briefly, since I don't have a lot of knowledge in
this arena) to make a COM interface by plugging together API calls into
the libcurl.dll from a Visual Basic COM component, and I was not able to
make it work. I'm guessing the call-back functions were the biggest
problem I was running into that I didn't have an easy fix for.

If someone can figure it out, that would be great!

Until then, the MSXML Parser 3.0 tool has a built-in component call
"MSXML.ServerXMLHTTP" that would be a fairly good choice for making HTTP
requests from an ASP web page. It doesn't have nearly as many options as
cURL does, but it appears to have enough options to be quite usable for
typical HTTP(S) scenarios. You can get that tool from Microsoft's web
site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.as
p?url=/msdn-files/027/001/591/msdncompositedoc.xml

--Kevin