Re: Location problems (was Re: release alert)

From: Pierre Z. <pierrez_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:34:11 +0200 (CEST)

Daniel,

thanks for the prompt response.

> Well it depends on what you define "works fine". The fact that curl
didn't fail doesn't necessarily mean that you got the page you wanted.

    I thought you'd say that :) I used "works fine" for a lack of
better words. Going to (or rather, attempting to fetch) the next
location /MainMenu is for me an indication that the login must have
passed - however does it really mean that everything's going as it
should? Can't answer, but at some point things do go wrong.

> A nitpick here, but is 50 laps really endless?

    the real issue here is not so much the number of loops, but rather
that at the end of all those loops the fetch is unsuccessful (similar
to the effect of an infinite loop if you prefer)

> Well, this is next to impossible to understand if you don't show more

    somehow I expected that too, and in fact I needed to understand
from you exactly what information you'd need to better understand
where the problem lies - I guess I got that now: everything. What I'm
unsure of is how exactly I can gather all that information.

> Did they use cookies?
    yes the server does send cookies and therefore expects cookies back
I guess

> Did curl send back the correct cookies?
    well, I suppose so, since I'm sending back exactly what I receive,
as explained in the cURL manuals. I guess I can somehow save a log of
all headers going back and forth to a file and mail it all to you.

> Did curl follow the Location: headers correct?
    how and where can I see this?

I'll try to collect as much valuable data as I think possible and
provide it to you later; or maybe, while collecting, I might find the
root cause and fix it, ya never know... <yeah, right!>

   PierreZ -- curl newbie --