RE: HTTP upload from stdin

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:31:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Rich Gray wrote:

> Seems like the options are:
>
> 1. chunked transfer
> 2. copy to temp file, get length, send temp file in one swell foop. (yech!)

Yes, well, apart from '3. do not support it'...

Option 1 isn't available if we want it to work on HTTP 1.0 servers, as
chunked transfers is a 1.1 invention... Is this an issue we need to care
about? How many 1.0-only servers are there in active use today?

A minor annoyance with option 2 that I just came to think of, is that curl
(the tool, opposed to the library) isn't aware of what protocol it is about
to use. So this store-to-temp-file thing would happen unregarding of the
protocol in use is HTTP or FTP, even though this isn't required for FTP
uploads if curl would do it.

An alternative would be for libcurl to do it, but I don't think libcurl
should be involved in any business having to deal with storing temporary
files etc.

I think I lean towards option 1 here.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/