RE: curl enhancement requests

From: Marlow, Andrew (London) <MarloAnd_at_exchange.uk.ml.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:06:47 +0100

        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] Pardon me.

> > 1) Could you please change the Makefile so that optionally, curl can be
> > built with a static library (libcurl.a) instead of a dynamic one?
>
> You can do it youself:
>
> ./configure --disable-shared
>
> This is actually mentioned in the docs/INSTALL file.
        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] Whoops. I should have RTFM'd. :-)

> > 2) Can curl take a batch command line argument that supresses the
> > repeated over-printing of upload statistics? For batch-mode just the
> > final results will do.
>
> I don't follow you here. I don't understand what "the repeated
> over-printing
> of upload statistics" is?
        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] It prints the number of bytes
transferred, upload time etc by printing a line then printing a carriage
return without a linefeed so that the next printing overwrites the previous
one, thus the statistics get updated on the same display line. This is
obviously designed for interactive users (and very nice it is too...).

> In general, curl is not doing "batch" things. To make curl do lots of
> stuff,
> you normally have to write a little script wrapper that invokes it
> multiple
> times to do multiple things.
        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] Not true for me. curl is powerful enough
to act as a direct FTP replacement that sets the exit status code correctly.
That's what I use it for at my client site. Prior to curl, FTP was being
invoked via a shellscript and error conditions grep'd for afterwards. Groan.

> An alternative approach could be to write a perl/php/tcl/ruby-script that
> uses the curl interface and it probably could do exactly what you want.
        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] Yes I could but this is overkill for me.
I just need to do a very simple file transfer.
> --
> Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77
> ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo un\2\1 is xg'`ol

        [Marlow, Andrew (London)] I agree but......
        echo '\0114\0151\0156\0165\0170 \0151\0163
\0143\0157\0157\0154\0145\0162\041'