RE: curl for dos (fwd)

From: Frank Reid <fcreid_at_ourcorner.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 04:37:44 -0400

To port curl to DOS, one would first need a TCP/IP stack available to the
OS. There are a few out there, including commercial packages and the public
domain Waterloo TCP (www.wattcp.com). These require a packet driver to
handle the socket I/O. Russ Nelson has been developing packet drivers for a
long time, and he makes these available at www.crynwr.com. If you're
already using the machine on a network, e.g. MS/TCP LANMAN or Windows/WG,
you could instead use an NDIS-to-packet shim for this purpose. You can find
these at www.danlan.com.

Building a WATTCP app from scratch is actually fairly straightforward, with
only a limited number of socket I/O calls. There are several included
application examples in the WATTCP source code package. However, porting an
existing socket-based app to WATTCP entails a good amount of work because it
uses completely different socket calls. I haven't looked at curl code with
an eye towards a DOS port, but it can probably be done with some work.
However, it would come with the extra baggage described above, i.e. it
wouldn't work out-of-the-box without the packet driver and such.

Frank