Re: curl 7.7 and RedHat

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:38:40 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Andrés García wrote:

> checking for gethostbyname_r... (cached) yes
> checking if gethostbyname_r takes 3 arguments... no
> checking if gethostbyname_r with -D_REENTRANT takes 3 arguments... no
> checking if gethostbyname_r takes 5 arguments... no
> checking if gethostbyname_r takes 6 arguments... no

This is the key to your problem. configure knows you have a gethostbyname_r()
function, but it can't figure out which version to use. That will cause it to
always fail all name resolve calls.

This tells me two things:

1. I should improve the configure script to show an error message in this
   case

2. You probably can't resolve the host name 'localhost' on your machine. That
   is the host name that the configure script will try to resolve in order
   to find out which gethostbyname_r() method to use. If you make sure you
   can resolve that name, remove config.cache and run configure again, I
   believe it'll work.