RE: Make install problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:52:29 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, A. I. Sinclair wrote:

> Hi, Thanks for the response. I did not get an on-list copy, so I am
> replying direct.

I approved your subscription just minutes after the reply to your mail! I'm
CC'ing this to the mailing list now, since it really belongs there...

> I think I do have permission to write to all the directories that are
> visible to me. In fact after reading the messages I "chmodded" the
> directory(ies) to 777 but I still got the same response which confused me
> even more.
>
> I can manually create the dir /usr/local/bin/curl/ -which makes it more
> strange.

You shouldn't have such a directory. By default, curl is copied to
/usr/local/bin. That is, the target file is /usr/local/bin/curl.

> I cannot "su" root as I am in the wrong "group".

If you can write to the directories without being root, you don't need to su
anyway.

However, your mail displayed this:

> /usr/bin/install -c .libs/curl /usr/local/bin/curl
> install: /usr/local/bin/curl: Permission denied

It certainly doesn't look like you're allowed to write files in the
/usr/local/bin/ directory. Not from my view at least.

> One last point what exactly do I need to do differently to what I've done
> to install curl in /usr/local/curl and not in /usr/local/bin/curl/

Curl defaults to install binaries in /usr/local/bin. It is because it has its
default "prefix" set to /usr/local. It also means that include files go into
/usr/local/include/ and man pages in /usr/local/man.

Change the prefix with ./configure --prefix=/your/own/choice. Like you can
install the whole thing in your own home directory with ./configure
--prefix=$HOME