Re: RE: Visual C++ 6.0 linking problems

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:31:27 -0600

There are makefiles for VC6 (VC++6 works too) in the downloadable source
code library. They worked as of the 7.5.x curls. You'd have to expand the
source code into the same directory structure it is in in the zip file, and
then you have to make sure vcvars32.bat (part of VC++) has been run, to get
the right environment variables set. Then you simply compile libcurl,
followed by curl.exe, from the command line, using the comments in the
makefil.vc6 files as your guide.

The curl-ssl-devel.zip file contains a pre-built libcurl.dll file, along
with the libcurl.a library file (I think it works fine to rename libcurl.a
to libcurl.lib and reference that file from VC++ when compiling your own
curl client, but I can't remember for sure). If you properly reference those
files (probably you need to specify in your project settings that
libcurl.(a|lib) should be linked into your client code) then you should have
no trouble compiling your project.

Alternatively, if your target machines all have at least IE 4.x installed,
you might look into using the wininet library that comes with IE4 and 5.
There is sample code a msdn.microsoft.com, and you'll probably need to
download part of the platform SDK to get the library files you need, but
it's not a bad tool, given the right circumstances...

--Kevin

>>> Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> 2/16/01 7:03 AM >>>
> I'm using the cURL version 7.6.1 (latest patch). I download the source
> code for the "libcurl" I having the problem to built it as a dll or lib.
> So I download the libcurl.dll and try to make the curl.exe ,
> unfortunately also got the linking error.

Ok, you probably can't link with that lib if you use VC++. Go back to compile
it all yourself.

Make a DLL project and insert all sources from the lib directory and build a
libcurl dll. Then use that DLL when you write your program.

> Can anyone tell me what is wrong , any sample i can refer to ???

Sample of what? There are libcurl using example code in the source archive
(docs/examples/).

> I think i'm choose the right toolkit since it is has the functionality
> use for transfer data.

I think so too. You just have to fight a little more to get it where you want
it.

(If any Windows skilled person feels like filling in details here, feel free,
I'm mostly guessing and assuming here...)