Re: RE: RE: HTTPS PUT

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 17:08:55 -0600

I would imagine you'd need to actually get a network trace (capture, whatever) to see what's going on. The logs from the web server couldn't be expected to show details at this low a level. Only problem is, the traffic is encrypted, so it's pretty difficult to get a network trace!

There are utilities available for Windows that will capture the network traffic at the tcp driver level instead of the actual network interface, and those are capable of showing you the actual network traffic, although it's not in the prettiest of formats. If memory serves, Sysinternals.com has one of those utilities available. Of course, if you're using Unix machines, this won't be of any help.

Daniel: is there any chance curl (or libcurl) could somehow implement a network trace feature of its own, in which all data going between libcurl and the network-related C functions could be trapped and recorded? I suppose this would also have to implemented in libssl? Or perhaps do the C network functions themselves offer this capability that you could tap into? This wouldn't be perfect, as it might not capture issues with DNS, ACKs and RESETs, etc very well, but it would be better than nothing...

--Kevin

>>> "Frank Reid" <fcreid_at_ourcorner.org> 2/08/01 4:36 PM >>>
Appreciate the insight and interpretation on that, Kevin. As I mentioned,
it was my first take it, and I'm groping for reasons why it would work with
IIS, but not with iPlanet/Netscape. (This is an issue only with the 7.5.x
curl -- the 7.6 release and beyond just doesn't seem to send more than the 8
KB of data to either server.)

I'll continue to plug away at it. Unfortunately, iPlanet logging is
miserable, and both the successful transfers (using Netscape Composer, for
example) and the curl sessions appear identical in the iPlanet logs.
Frustrating stuff...

Frank