HTTPS upload (large file problem)

From: Cain Hopwood <cain_at_epage.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:50:31 -0000

This problem has just burnt me as well. I thought I'd give you guys a run
down of what I've discovered in the last couple of days of hair pulling and
see if anyone has discovered any fixes/ work arounds.

The last post on this subject intimated that it was probably an OpenSSL
problem, and I've come to the same conclusion.

What I'm doing is sending largish HTTPS Post Requests (from 20K to 1Mb) from
Unix to an IIS server, I've hit the same approx 100K barrier, but only when
using HTTPS. I can post the same sized data from an IE form using HTTPS with
no problems, however Netscape on my old Redhat 5.2 box generates the same
problems as cURL does which in my case manifest themselves as a "error 400
Bad request" returned from the server.

What's more curious though is that I get the same problems when posting
from;
Linux
HPUX 10.20
AIX 4.3
AIX 4.2
Solaris 2.5
But... On Solaris 7 I can get the post to succeed if I first post a small 6K
file then immediately the larger one. That tactic, unfortunately, only works
on Solaris.

Furthermore, When I've posted from a remote machine and counted the amount
of data coming down the line the transfer doesn't stop at the 127K mark but
goes the full distance (presumably) before I get the error.

I'm Using Identical OpenSSL 0.9.6 and Curl version 7.6 on all boxes (I also
tried older cURL's but with the same result).

Initially I hit this problem using libcurl, but it happens with on regular
curl as well. My guess is that OpenSSL is garbling the connection after 100K
which means that either the final CR LF is missing, or that the content
length is different to what curl specifies (I'm really shooting in the dark
here).

Any Ideas Anyone?

L&K Cain

~| No matter what happens, someone, somewhere will
~| take it too seriously.
~~\&&| / Cain Hopwood GSXR750, Volkl P30.
~~~\&| -_, cain@epage.com.au Web: http://www.epage.com.au/cain