Re: Patches to make curl work as a netsaint plugin

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:20:20 +0100 (CET)

Troy Engel wrote:

> I may be a bit off key here, I never know what I'm talking about. But,
> this sounds like a perfect autoconf type option, whereby './configure
> --enable-netsaint' adds the #define to config.h, and all your
> (Christoph) neato stuff is thereby included in #defines in the code.

The question, if I understood Daniels mail correctly, is on a more
philosophical than a practical level.

If we include these, rather application specific (as opposed to protocol
specific) changes, what does that mean for the design of curl? Which
application is next in line to require special customization of curl's
behaviour?

A more elegant solution (in my opinion, of course) would be to remodel the
changes so that they are more general in nature. Maybe we could have an option
that allows these kind of one-line status reports, but with a more general
purpose user-formatted syntax rather than these hardcoded lines. The idea
being, of course, to customize curl for different uses rather than different
applications.

I want curl to support netsaint. But I also want it to support its' successors
and competitors, without having to modify curl for each one.

/Björn