Re: 7.5.1 - gethostbyname problems under RedHat Linux

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:13:37 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Brian K wrote:

> I'm a new curl user.. Actually, that's not quite true. So far, I have
> not been able to build a working version of curl on my Redhat
> 6.1/2.4-test5 system. I don't usually have any trouble building source
> on this system.

Hm, and I normally have no problems bulding curl on linux either. I have a
few boxes myself that I do this on...

> The problems seem to center around gethostbyname_r, the number of passed
> arguments and inet_ntoa_r.

My linux box says gethostbyaddr_r() takes 8 arguments and that the
inet_ntoa_r() doesn't exist.

> bonito>./curl www.ford.com
> curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'www.ford.com'

This confuses me. Is the gethostbyname_r() somehow changed in linux 2.4? I
take it all other tools work on that host name?

... you're not supposed to use a proxy, are you?

> bonito>gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

I just tested this again on the same web site you have problems with on my
redhat 6.2 box using:

        gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

> Any suggestions on what I should be looking for here?

Could you verify that you get a similar configure output like this:

checking for gethostbyname_r... (cached) yes
checking if gethostbyname_r takes 3 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyname_r with -D_REENTRANT takes 3 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyname_r takes 5 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyname_r takes 6 arguments... yes
checking for gethostbyaddr_r... (cached) yes
checking if gethostbyaddr_r takes 5 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyaddr_r with -D_REENTRANT takes 5 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyaddr_r takes 7 arguments... no
checking if gethostbyaddr_r takes 8 arguments... yes
checking for inet_ntoa_r... (cached) no