Re: curl 7.5 compile around

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:12:25 -0600

>>> Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> 12/06/00 7:26 AM >>>
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Kevin P Roth wrote:

>> I noticed a few funny new-line characters in other files. For example,
>> all three newly contributed makefiles for VC6 have some extra
>> Carriage-Returns (\r in C, or ^M when viewing in a Win32-emacs). For
>> example, in lib/makefile.vc6. I see one at the end of lines 7, 9, 125,
>> 348 and 349 (that was a quick scan, I might have missed one or two).

> They are, after all, DOS/Windows newlines and the VC++ is a Windows compiler
> so I can't see that they would cause any harm.

The problem is not that there ARE some windows-style newlines, but rather that there is a MIX of unix-style and windows-style newlines all in the same file.

>> if I download using WinCVS 1.1b16, it tries to convert the Unix
>> end-of-lines (\n) to Windows-style end-of-lines (\r\n) and then nmake
>> gets really confused when it sees \r\r\n on the end of a line - it
>> refuses to compile...

> Well that sounds like a WinCVS bug rather than anything else. Isn't it?

I would agree that it seems WinCVS has a bug, but the point remains that the files, as included in your source tarball, have 2 different newline styles in the same file. Sounds like this isn't a problem in all cases, but it confused me until I figured out what was up, and it sounds like a similar problem may have confused the person who started this thread.

I will attach in a separate message (just to Daniel) updates to the three vc6 makefiles that remove the extra carriage returns.

--Kevin