Re: curl 7.5 compile around

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:48:53 -0600

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> 12/05/00 3:52 AM
>> If so, SCO 5 should have failed too, but it did not get to link phase.
>> I'm wondering where the ^M came from...

>I'm curious as well.

I noticed a few funny new-line characters in other files. For example, all three newly contributed makefiles for VC6 have some extra Carriage-Returns (\r in C, or ^M when viewing in a Win32-emacs). For example, in lib/makefile.vc6. I see one at the end of lines 7, 9, 125, 348 and 349 (that was a quick scan, I might have missed one or two).

More specifically, most of the lines in this file end with just a new-line (e.g. \n). But the ones I mentioned above end with CR/LF (\r\n)... VC6's nmake seems to be able to handle this OK when downloaded like I did, but if I download using WinCVS 1.1b16, it tries to convert the Unix end-of-lines (\n) to Windows-style end-of-lines (\r\n) and then nmake gets really confused when it sees \r\r\n on the end of a line - it refuses to compile...

I got the files in question by downloading curl-7.5.tar.gz, and extracting it with gunzip and tar inside Cygwin's bash shell.

--Kevin