Library Versioning (was Re: anything for the upcoming release?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:08:04 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> using a recent version of libtool should suffice.

I am using the most recent libtool non-beta version I'm aware of: 1.3.5.

> which name scheme are you thinking at?

I'm gonna follow the guidelines stated in the libtool manual. That means the
version numbers of the library binaries will be set independent of the
release/library version. The libraries will mainly be incrementaly numbered.
The previous used interface number 0, the upcoming release will be number 1.
(I guess it could still be number 0 only revision 1, but I wanted to
leap-start this a little.)

The reason for the version numbering not being the same as the library
version is of course that the system used by system linkers are different
from the versioning I use when naming the libraries.