Re: Can't get in to password protected sites

From: Kingsley Tart <kingsley.lists_at_skymarket.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:41:03 -0000

> Which version of Curl are you using?

7.4.1

> What operating system are you running on?

Slackware Linux 7.x running kernel 2.2.16

> What is the output of
>
> curl -v -u myuser:mypass http://protected.site.com/

(for security reasons, I've replaced the actual site name here with one
of our own)

--8<--
* SSL connection using EXP1024-RC4-SHA
* Server certificate:
* subject: /C=GB/ST=Staffordshire/L=Tamworth/OU=Terms of use at
www.trustwise.com/RPA (c)99/OU=Authenticated by British
Telecommunications plc/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/O=Skypay
Technology Plc/OU=Internet Services/CN=www.Skypay.co.uk
* issuer: /C=US/O=RSA Data Security, Inc./OU=Secure Server
Certification Authority
* Connected to www.Skypay.co.uk (212.84.173.100)
> GET /merchants_secure/ HTTP/1.0
Authorization: Basic TWVyY2hhbnQwMDE6ZGVtbw==
Host: www.Skypay.co.uk:443
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
--8<--

>Also (added to the questions posted by Linus), it would help a lot if
you
>would show us the headers that the remote server sent you, as shown
with curl
>-i...

--8<--
HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied
WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

--8<--

Just to check that I'm not being stupid, I pasted the URL from my telnet
window into my browser and then pasted the username and password into
the dialog box and it let me into the site. However, the response it
gives to cURL is what would happen if I cancelled that box.

Cheers,
Kingsley.