Re: again: connect() timeouts

From: Georg Horn <horn_at_koblenz-net.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:00:07 +0100

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 11:46:25PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Rich Gray wrote:
>
> > The only solution is to always use sigaction() instead.
>
> Thanks a lot Rich for doing more research in the subject!

Yes, this clarified the whole thing a bit more...

> I also got the alternative suggestion from Bjorn Reese to set the socket to
> non-blocking mode and thus be able to timeout with a select().

But how will you do this when connect()ing a socket? I always thought select()
only works on connected sockets and either returns if there is data to read
on a socket, or a certain time is over?

> Would that possibly make it work better on win32 systems or systems that
> don't have sigaction()? Or will those systems have problems with non-blocking
> sockets? Anyone knows?

I think that systems that don't have sigaction() have signal(), and that
signal() does not make syscalls restart on these systems. I hope so...

Bye,
Georg