Re: curl: (1) SSL is disabled error...for non-standard directory installation

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:39:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, jeff saenz wrote:

> I'm getting this error when I try to run curl with a https url as the
> parameter. For example,
>
> ./curl https://www.tias.com
> curl: (1) SSL is disabled, https: not supported!

That looks familiar! ;-)

> I looked at the configure output and the system seemed to have found the
> openssl lib and include files.

Yeps. 6 includes and 2 libs are needed.

> I don't have root access to the machine so I am forced to install it in
> my local directory.

Well that shouldn't change anything.

> I have tried it with and without the --disable-shared option. I'ts
> running on a bsdi machine.

The --disable-shared only affects how libcurl is built, as a static or
dynamic lib.

[snip]

> checking where to look for SSL... /usr/home/www/openssl
> checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
> checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes
> checking for openssl/x509.h... yes
> checking for openssl/rsa.h... yes
> checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes
> checking for openssl/pem.h... yes
> checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
> checking for openssl/err.h... yes
> checking for RAND_status... yes
> checking for RAND_screen... no

This looks so very right. Did you really build everything after this
configure was run? I mean, you didn't by any chance build everything prior to
you specifying the openssl libs/include files?

To get into details, what decides if libcurl is built with SSL awareness is
the presence of the 6 includes and 2 libs. There's a #if construction in
lib/setup.h that will '#define USE_SSLEAY 1' is those 8 defines are present.
If USE_SSLEAY is true, many places will be compiled differently.

You tried to 'make clean' and just 'make' again?