RE: hanging URL

From: R.G.Hall <ccsrgh_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:45:18 +0100 (BST)

Not quite true. I remember fixing a bug in the CERN server (unfortunately
about five years after everyone else stopped using it ;-) which was caused
by it getting '\r' and '\n' in separate reads (recv's?) from the socket.
The TCP level was ok, the application wasn't.

But we are not talking about CERN here, IIRC. So feel free to ignore me!

Richard

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Rich Gray wrote:

> This makes NO sense at all. TCP is a reliable protocol. Things don't (err
> shouln't) get lost. It should not matter one iota whether the sender does:
>
> send("a"); send("b"); send("c") or
> send("abc")
>
> There is no guarantee in either case that the receiver will get all the
> characters at once. It might get them in one, two or three receives.
> Because TCP is a reliable protocol, the receiver will get them, or the
> connection will fail. Perhaps what we have here is a VERY broken firewall
> that is failing to deal with multiple packets??
>
> Rich
[...]