Re: curl 7.2.1 patch to specify http request output port

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:28:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Stephen Kick wrote:

> Last week I posted a patch to enable you to specify the interface to use
> for http requests. It did not look like the email went through so I will
> describe the patch again to see if anyone wants it. If anyone wants it
> let me know on here and I will post the patch.

No such patch arrived in my mailbox. I'd appriciate it! Please post!

[description cut off]

> The patch binds the port to the specified interface so that http requests
> are sent out the specified interface and the results will be returned to
> that interface. The patch works for HTTP and HTTPS.

I actually got a request for this a very long time ago. I don't think you're
the first or last person who wants this kind of "fiddling".

> The patch has only been tested with RedHat 6.2, x86. I do not know how
> it will work on other architectures. Someone needs to check the errno's
> I am checking in case they are not supported on other architectures. I
> have updated some of the documentation to describe the syntax but I have
> not updated the man pages.

I don't mind platform specific solutions, as long as the features they
provide are cool enough. They should however get proper #ifdefs around code
sections that are dependent on platform specific features. I am of course
willing to help address details in that, to the extent of my knowledge.

I am trying to get a team of "port responsible" persons to help me validate
that changes and features remain portable on all the major platforms curl is
currently available for. The team already has a bunch of members, but if
anyone who reads this has an odd unix flavour and knows about porting to it,
get in touch. This idea/team is still in its infancy.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77