Re: Problems with file://

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:05:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Lars J. Aas wrote:

> With "localhost", no name lookup should be necessary, but you can
> actually get files from remote computers through file: URLs. I assume
> the same technique as rcp and scp is using should be used.

I've never seen it in work. Browsers don't do it either AFAIK.

> I doubt this is implemented in curl though, but it could happen in the
> future.

Yep.

> Anyways, the important thing is to remember that it is an URL, and all
> URLs have hostname before pathname - "forgetting" it is a mistake and
> should not work.

No, 'file:///tmp/foo' is a valid URL. This format is also very commonly used
by browsers so even if it wouldn't be correct according to the standards,
curl would have to support it just because the browsers do.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77