RE: Challenge to get curl fetching from this site ....

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:19:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, WILSON, Nick wrote:

> I can get a different response back from this server that no longer keeps
> the Connection: Keep-alive there, using curl command,

> curl -v -i -H "Connection: close" -A "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01;
> Windows NT 5.0)" http://www.emailcash.com.au

Well, that indicates that the server tries to behave differently depending on
your "browser".

> but still no body in the http message ?

So, what did the headers say?

> Is there anything I'm missing ? a host or Referrer perhaps ?

Curl automatically uses the headers a valid HTTP request should have. I'd
guess that page has a Location: header to someplace else.

> Is it possible that this site has decided that if you don't have the
> ability to keep a persistent connection then stuff you, we are not going
> to let you view our site ?

It is possible but hardly likely.

> And no I'm not doing anything dumb to try and get free cash, it's just
> that this site couldn't be fetched from using php with curl and I was
> wondering why ...

The headers you receive probably explains it all...

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77