Re: No more vprintf() error

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:53:09 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Claude Cormier wrote:

> When executing cURL, I get:
>
> ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libcurl.so.0.0"

This is because, as said before, the dynamic lib isn't found by the linker at
run-time.

> Is adding /u/me/lib to my path will do or must the libraries be in the
> system path only

You can do either way.

> .... or should I use LD_LIBRARY_PATH like you suggest.

That is your lib path.

> In the later case, is LD_LIBRARY_PATH a env variable that I set using:
>
> setenv LF_LIBRARY-PATH -L/u/me/lib

Almost, set it like

# setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /u/me/lib

(unless it already is set to something, it might be a colon-separated list of
directories)

> In this case, I guess I must purge config.cache, redo ./configure with
> the proper env variable and make install again ??

No, that is resolved at run-time. Just set the variable an run curl again.

> BTW, what is a static compile?

Static as opposed to dynamic means that the library and the executable are
linked together into one chunk. It removes the run-time linkage, although if
many programs use the same lib it creates unnecessary big programs (among
other drawbacks).

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77